Sunday, May 1, 2011

Trinity Eights: a new boat for a new term

Well, our new Regent's boat has had its maiden voyage (for all I know, it's had a few of them - but this afternoon was the first women's crew outing).  I have christened it with my blood (stupid fingers always getting between the boat and my blade) and my sweat (yes, it was actually warm rowing today).

I've also caught my first crab.  Not exciting news.  Although, it's pretty crazy how quickly your body adapts to Matrix-like agility when threat of decapitation is imposed.  I've never thought of myself as someone with particularly quick reflexes, but insert a massively long blade coming towards me with intimidating power (and speed) and before I know it I've managed to bend my body over backwards and emerge intact.  The blade didn't even hit me.

All in all, a good outing.  We've been off the water for two months (and some, rejoining from Michaelmas term, for more like five), yet hit the ground running (metaphorically speaking) - rowing all eights, and not doing too shabby.  

Best of all, however, the new boat is ten kilos per boy (yes, it is a boys' boat) lighter than the last one.  This means that hoisting it out of the boat house and onto the water may no longer make me want to cry. 

No comments: